Friday, June 22, 2007

Lil' Sugarplum

Monique of Lil’ Sugarplum creates delicate accessories for your little one-from scarves, hair clips, bobby pins, and headbands to suit every little one’s fancy. Her inspiration behind Lil’ Sugarplum is her two beautiful children. It began with the idea of wanting to make her daughter a baby bracelet and her son a cap… and the result of this endeavor? A thriving business called Lil’ Sugarplum!


Balancing Parenthood and Business
“I try to do as much of the business while the kids are napping or sleeping at night. On weekends I can do a little more when my husband is home to play with them. I purposely keep my business small and manageable so it doesn’t interfere with my family or children.”




Background-From Teaching to Making
“I have a teaching credential. I stopped teaching right before my son was born. The plan was always to stay home with my kids since the credential would always be there for me."

"I like to think I have good customer service skills and I enjoy hearing my customers talk about their children.

Business Challenges
“Lack of time and knowledge….The time issue never went away but for the knowledge part, I just researched my field all over the internet until I knew as much as I possibly could.”



Landed First Wholesale Account by…
“Walking into stores and introducing myself, e-mailing various store owners until someone said yes!”

Marketing and Advertising
“I check out The Switchboards a lot for all the free PR opportunities. I check out events locally to see how I can advertise too. [I also market through] well established blogs with lots of traffic!”

Motivated by…
“Providing a better future for my children and hearing the glowing feedback from my customers.”

Mentors and inspirations
“ My family and stay-at-home mom business owners.”

Recommended Business Resources
“I check out lots of messages boards—The Switchboards and Etsy. I also search the net for information… but I wish I had time to read more books.”

Words of Advice-Keep Passion and Fun Alive
“Be passionate about what you are about to embark on, have fun with it and be dedicated!”
--------------------
Contact:


Monique
Lil’ Sugarplum
info@lilsugarplum.com



No comments: